Monday, July 30, 2007

Update: Castillo To Mets

FoxSports.com and Joe Christensen are reporting that the Twins are nearing a deal that will send Luis Castillo to the Mets. In return, the Twins get two of the things they need least in the world: a struggling catching prospect and a light-hitting minor-league outfielder. The catcher is 23-year-old Drew Butera, who had been playing with Class-AA Binghamton, where he had posted a miserable .439 OPS over 117 at-bats. The outfielder is Dustin Martin, also 23, who was hitting .287/.358/.421 in Advanced Single-A.

Neither of these players look remotely impressive, but I guess that's the going price for two months worth of service from a mediocre veteran second baseman. If any of the details change or any other deals go down, we'll let you know as soon as we do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it me or was this one of the most irrelevant trades the Twins have ever done. I understand this third base prospect is supposed to be good, but did Ryan actually say that he is confident having, Punto (lol), Casilla (seriously?), and an unproven rookie? Atleast attempting at Wiggington would have shown hope. I'll be in Minny Sunday for my first trip to the dome, ever. As a die-hard Twinkie, this was not the news I needed to hear!

Nick N. said...

The Twins certainly didn't get much value out of this deal, but I guess that's not really too important. Casilla is set to be the full-time starter next season, so with it can't hurt to get him some experience over the final two months of this season, while saving a couple million bucks on Castillo's contract. The players the Twins got are non-prospects and I don't expect either one to ever reach the majors, but the goal here was to get rid of Castillo and that's precisely what TR did.

I'll admit though, I thought that Castillo's trade value would be a little higher.

Anonymous said...

This is one baffling trade, but I guess if the goal was to simply get rid of Castillo they accomplished that much. This doesn't help us now and it doesn't help us in the future.