I almost made a negative post today before leaving for work, thinking the Twins were doomed pathetic loss to the Brewers. I was proven wrong, as the Twins came back to win in the 11th off a Junior Spivey error. It was, however, due to the late-inning heroics of Shannon Stewart and Lew Ford that led to the Twins comeback victory.
Stewart had a ninth-inning, two-run homer off of Brewers new-sensation closer Derrik Turnbow following Lew Ford's double that scored Jacque Jones. Jesse Crain, who didn't look so great last night, came in and pitched a quick 11th, striking out two, for his third victory. Stewart and Ford, the Twins two hottest hitters at the moment, can be given thanks for the victory, as once again their clutch hitting pulled the Twins out of what should have been a lost. There was, after all, many reasons for disapointment.
Highlights and Lowlights:
* Johan Santana did have a fairly impressive start, going seven innings while striking out eleven, giving up five hits, and walking one. That brought his major-league leading total to 83 strikeouts while lowering his ERA to 3.82. Johan, however, looked pretty shaky in the sixth and the seventh, but managed to get through not-too-badly scared
* Michael Cuddyer continued his hitting streak, bringing it to eleven games, as he went 1 for 4 with a run-scoring single
* Lew Ford went 3 for 4 with 3 run scored and an RBI in an impressive outing.
* The M and M boys went a combined 1 for 9 with no RBIs and seven men left on base and two in scoring position. Those are poor numbers from the three and four spot and the hitters that support this Twins team
* Torii Hunter had another terrible day, going 0 for 4 while commiting an error that caused a Brewer run in the 8th. Hunter went through his usual swing-at-the-first-pitch habit, weakly grounding out and only getting on-base in the 7th due to Julio Santana's embarrasing lack of control
* Both Juan Rincon and Joe Nathan gave up an earned run a piece, looking a little shaky, though Romero and Crain redeemed the bullpen in the 10th and 11th with fine outings.
Overall, it was a good game, as the Twins pulled out a victory. But bad habits still persist for the Twins.