Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Quick Arb Update

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. Still not much to write about as far as the Twins are concerned, so today I’ll just touch on a few arbitration-related notes.

* The White Sox offered arbitration to Orlando Cabrera, which is good news to those of us who feared the thought of the Twins offering him a long-term deal. Cabrera qualifies as a Type A free agent, meaning the Twins would have to surrender a first-round pick in order to sign him, and as Joe Christensen has noted, the team has no interest in giving up draft picks in order to bring in free agents.

You can read my thoughts on Cabrera here.

* On Monday, the Twins offered Dennys Reyes arbitration, which the lefty reliever will almost surely decline as he seeks a multi-year deal from some other club. Since Reyes qualifies as a Type B free agent, the Twins will receive a supplemental second-round pick when he signs elsewhere. I was very impressed with the way the Twins drafted this past June. They didn’t shy away from good talent due to the price tags, and even went over-slot on a few players. If they carry that same aggressive plan forward into next year’s draft, that extra pick could prove valuable.

* Strangest thing that I've read all week and perhaps that I'll read all offseason, from the blog of former Tigers beat writer Danny Knobler (emphasis mine):

Shortstop Jason Bartlett was voted the Rays' most valuable player, and he was a big part in Tampa Bay's improbable run to the World Series.

Now the Rays are willing to trade him, according to a baseball official who has spoken to the Rays. Not only that, but the Rays have also discussed trying to reacquire Delmon Young, the outfielder who they traded to the Twins last winter to get Bartlett and Matt Garza.

By all accounts the Rays were pretty ecstatic to get rid of Young and his attitude. Now they want him back after he put up a crappy season in Minnesota and they improved their record by 30 wins without him? Whatever

3 comments:

MVB said...

Hey Nick,

Saw that same rumor yesterday. Very random. I trust the Twins will make sure they get value for Delmon or else just hold on to him. But weird that Devils were even interested.

I moved my blog today from blogger to twinsmvb.com. I was just wondering if you could update your sidebar link. I'm also giving away 2 regular season tickets to whomever names my new podcast! Thanks for all the support.

Your Twins blog is still the first one I read in the morning. That's the truth!

Nick N. said...

Thanks a bunch! Link updated. Keep up the great work.

Steven Ellingson said...

Now I could see a Young/ Bartlett trade working out, but they would probably want some sort of an infielder to compensate for the loss of bartlett. I guess we could throw in Harris. That would be a lot of talent to give up for a decent shortstop, so I think the Twins would target one of their young starting pitchers....I'd go with Garza. We can throw in Jason Pridie to sweeten the deal and we've got a starting shortstop and room to move a starting pitcher. Now if we do that, and sign Eduardo Morlan off the Rule 5 draft to help out our pen, we could have a succesfull off season.