Saturday, February 10, 2007

Friday Links

Nothing too big today, just a few Twins-related links. Have a good weekend!

* A couple former Twins have signed with other clubs. Shannon Stewart inked a one-year contract with the Athletics (traitor!) and Joe Mays signed a minor-league deal with the Dodgers. In my opinion, both these guys are near the end of their careers, though I wouldn't be surprised if Stewart bounced back with a decent season in Oakland.

* Here is a pretty depressing take on the Twins stadium situation and where it's at. This thing has been made out to be a done deal since it was announced last May, but that might not necessarily be the case.

* One sportswriter is already predicting the Twins to make the World Series this year. I can't imagine there will be too many.

* Here is an interesting article from the Beloit Daily News about Terry Ryan and his plans for the Twins' upcoming season.

3 comments:

Lee Henschel said...

Did you honestly think Stewart would re-sign with the Twins? I'm glad he and Mays got deals, and Stewart could rebound and have a good year. But the Twins are long at the outfield position. It's unlikely they would sign a potential injury-prone athlete, when they have plenty of talented reserves at outfield.

Nick N. said...

I certainly never thought the Twins would re-sign Stewart, nor did I think they should have. Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a decent season with the A's, but that doesn't mean I expect him to.

That traitor comment was just a joke, poking at him because he went and signed with the team that obliterated the Twins from the playoffs last year.

Anonymous said...

The Sporting News baseball guide has the Twins #1 in their pre-season power rankings, which I really don't understand with the uncertainty over the starting rotation. The last time the SN rated the Twins #1 was in 2005, and we all know what happened that year.