Wednesday, June 08, 2005

D-Back Destruction

Tonight was the last Twins game I will be able to watch in a pretty long while, and boy did they go out on a good note. The Twins crushed the Diamondbacks 10-0. You may have noticed that we tend to be a bit cynical, but for perhaps the first time this season, this is a game in which I can find nothing to complain about. The pitching was brilliant and every starter had a hit (including Mr. Santana).

Johan was in Cy Young form tonight. He tossed a complete game shutout, allowing only 4 singles. He struck out 9 and walked none. He improved his record on the year to 7-2 and lowered his ERA to 3.31.

The Twins offense continued to scorch in the Arizona desert. Unlike a typical big offensive day for this team, they did not score all their runs in a couple big innings. Instead, they spread the scoring out over the entire game, scoring in every inning but the 1st, 4th, and 9th. Jacque Jones hit his 7th home run of the season, a 2-run shot off D-Backs starter Claudio Vargas in the second inning with one on. Torii Hunter continued with his excellent hitting, going 1/3 with an RBI. Joe Mauer had a pair of hits and a pair of RBI. Shannon Stewart went 3/4.

I've got to say that I've been very impressed by Juan Castro. He went 2/4 tonight with a couple RBI, and made a tremendous play in the field. Castro is batting .269 with 3 HR and 13 RBI this year. While he doesn't show exceptional patience at the plate, he has struck out only 16 times in 108 at-bats, which is not bad (it's about the same percentage as Mauer). If he can continue to hit around .270 and keep up with the consistent work in the field, he is going to turn out to be a pretty serviceable starting shortstop, which is more than I ever gave him credit for coming into this season.

Early tomorrow morning I leave for Hawaii, where I will be for 11 days. I'll do my best to keep up with the Twins while I'm there, but during my absence posts will be handled by my associate Mr. Mosvick, who no doubt will keep things moving smoothly in my absence. Great win for the Twins, and good luck tomorrow as they look for the sweep Arizona and then in the following series against the Dodgers and the Padres. Seeya in a couple weeks!

-Nick N.

No comments: